Monday, April 06, 2009

In The Figueroas

I took my daughter up to the Figueroa mountains last week to get some ref photos of the wildflowers and managed to get some good late afternoon shots. This scene looks over our valley and had these great rocks in the foreground so I decided to go for it. Despite my lack of confidence with painting rocks I think the end result doesn't look half bad. I'll continue to work on rocks down the line since that is what I feel is a painting weakness of mine.


Here it is up on the easel. The top, or background area, is finished and I am blocking in the foreground colors.


Here is the finished piece below

"In The Figueroas"

16" X 20" Oil on Canvas

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If they are a weakness we'll all be dodging them when you get good at it. I feel the rocks add a real presence to this composition and increase the number of elements that hold the attention of the viewer. Lovely picture.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick,
My favorite live-in critic says the rocks look great which usually means they look better than I think they do. I'm not totally happy with any of the rocks I do yet but that's probably because I am not really comfortable painting them yet.
Confidence, that really tends to come with experience. The more you paint something the better you feel about them. I know you feel better about things you paint now compared to when you started. I'm sure it will all work out though in time with me. I just need to paint rocks more.
Thanks for the good words Mick. Hope Spring begun over there for you.
Ron