Saturday, March 27, 2010

Santa Ynez Valley

"Near Santa Ynez"
5" X 7" Oil on panel



This little painting was one of those ones that go so fast you hardly had time to drink your coffee. Well, not that fast but a few hours anyways. This scene is of our valley here minus all of the domestic trappings that are present now, fences, vineyards, sheds, the occasional well house...those things are for another painting.


I've had to stop painting for a few days due to a major waterpipe leak that took forever to fix. I've got to go back down to Pasadena to check on my Dad since he's out of the hospital for knee problem he has...been going back and forth....drive drive drive...I wonder how much of my life has been spent behind a steering wheel. Lots!


Anyways...I think this is a cool little study that just might generate a larger piece.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Small pieces like this must be a lot of fun when you life is so full of other things. Hope everything is ok with your Dad. This one just shouts "Ron".

Marian Fortunati said...

Yeah... Hope your Dad feels better soon!

william wray said...

Hey Ron,

Good luck with your pops. Enjoying the work really think the brushy ground adds a lot to your approach.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick - He needs a knee replacement. I'm sure he'll be fine...he's a tough old guy.
Thanks for the comments on the painting Mick. Too many things going on lately.

Hi Marian - Thanks too, he'll get through it.

Hi Bill - Thanks too man. The textured ground is something I'm warming up to. I think the finished look works pretty well.

Thanks for the comments on my Dad you guys. I'm sure he'll get better and be walking around soon enough....or he'll drive us all crazy, hahaha.

John Healey said...

Hi Ron,

I love your work. Your paintings are all consistently beautiful, which is the hallmark of a good painter. You are one of the people I definitely look for on WC.

I hope your dad is feeling better.

John

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi John,
Thanks a lot for the good words. I appreciate it. I also look forward to seeing the work you are posting on your Blog...good stuff!

My Dad must be getting better because he's getting back to his grumpy old self, hahaha. Thanks!
Ron