Sunday, December 11, 2011

Made The Papers....

Last week the Santa Barbara Independent ran an article on my upcoming depoyment with the Coast Guard cutter USCGC Stratton. Click Here to Read. Nice article. Lately I've been spending my time buzzing around trying to get too many things done. I hung a show for another artist friend of mine in a downtown Los Olivos restaraunt early this morning...then used our tractor to help my neighbor move a lot of compost alongside her hilly terrain to keep our projected rains from washing away her hillside.

I went shopping in every store in two cities both 30 miles away to try and pick up a lens I badly need for my camera before boarding the ship...nobody had it so at the last minute I ordered in online from a company in NY...should be here Tuesday. Drove 120 miles to Pasadena to pick up another lens a friend is letting me borrow because it has Vibration Reduction built in. Both of my len's don't have VR and in low light without a tripod it's a safe bet that half my shots are blurred.  A VR lens should fix that. Have done a ton of reading about low light photography and watched about 40 videos on youtube about it an other photo stuff...just to brush up and learn some new things.

We had our Small Works show too and now it is on auto pilot...meaning the show runs until January. Good looking show too. The reception was fun and I was able to talk to some of the other artists which is always a bonus. Here in between all of this I've been writing press releases and doing the followup on that...in fact, a reporter from our local paper will be here tomorrow doing an interview about the deployment. I did one over the phone for a paper up in Santa Maria last week too. I've also managed to get in some reading of two issues of Southwest Art that I had set aside to read at a later date. Did I mention mowing the lawn to mulch this falls leave harvest!?  

4 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

You and your art constantly amaze me Ron!!!

Can't wait to hear all about your upcoming adventures!

Christine Brallier said...

You are awesome, Ron, and guess what? You and your handsome mug are on the front page of the Santa Barbara News Press, today! I will send you a copy. Congrats, and I can't wait to hear about your experience!

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Marian,
I'm about as ready as I can get. Bought my seasick pills last night and 2 bags of Ginger Snaps to boot, hahaha. Also bought a new Vibration Reduction lens and tired it out early this morning before the sun came up...all systems go there. Can't wait! Thanks Marian.

Hi Christine,
Thanks too...Mug would be the better description! hahaha. Thanks for sending the press clipping and heads up. We bought 3 of the papers this morning to feed the scrapbook and family. I was actually right next to the paper racks this morning snapping pics with the camera but didn't know about it. Thanks Christine!

Elise said...

Heello mate great blog