Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mustard Painting

"A Peaceful Afternoon"
8" X 10" Oil on masonite panel
Every year the mustard comes to California and blooms along the hillsides and in the valleys. I actually enjoy painting mustard and am still experimenting with how to paint it. It's always fun to paint mustard though so to me this little painting was worth the time to complete it. The painting is on gessoed masonite which is a nice texture to work with. I'm now applying 3 coats of gesso on masonite which seems to be working for me. I felt like 2 coats was allowing too much of the oil in the paint to soak up into the gesso so I've gone with 3 coats which seems to keep the paint from dragging off the brush in the later stages of the painting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron,
I really like the feel and mood of this one.
Maggie

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Maggie,
Thanks for taking a look and the nice compliments Maggie. I like it too and enjoyed painting this one. Sometimes these small 8x10's finish up pretty quick, and with little time to ponder over them, they end up looking pretty good. Wish they all went along that easy.
Ron