Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Wooden Boat Foundation

"Surf Training"
16" X 20" Oil On Canvas

Today I received some show info for the upcoming Coast Guard 2010 show reception at the Salmagundi Club in New York. My painting "Surf Training" has been juried into this years collection. I'd love to one day go to one of these show receptions but NY is a long way off and my life has been spent on a budget, haha....someday. Anyways, the letter from the COGAP coordinator, Mary Ann Bader, mentioned that my painting has already been requested for a 2 month show in the Fall. The Wooden Boat Foundation which is located in Port Townsend, WA. has requested the loan of the painting from the Coast Guard's Collection and will be shown for the 2 months in Fall. I think it will be there during the Wooden Boat Foundations annual Wooden Boat Show in September...well, that's my guess since I haven't called the WBF to confirm the details but will soon....so that's' pretty darned good news!

I'm a longtime, no L O N G T I M E boat nut and have been flipping through pages of various boat magazines for years...one of those magazines was Wooden Boat which was always a blast to read through. I still have many copies too. My pride and joy though was one day walking into a second hand store and finding an almost complete collection of Nautical Quarterly books. These hardcover books were the "to die for" books on things nautical in an upscale presentation with the most "your gonna drool all over them" pictures you've ever seen. Each issue had an artists work in there too so that was also great to see. One issue had Loretta Krupinski's beautiful work...what a style. I've also spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours reading through boat plan catalogues and anything else you could read on building a boat. Naturally, the internet has only broadened my reading pleasure immensely. Recently I joined a forum to enjoy reading about guys who have built Tolman Skiffs....tough boat from Renn Tolman in Alaska.
(sorry...I know this absolutely nothing to do with art)

When I read the note from Mary Ann I thought how cool is that to get my work requested by an organization who I have off and on followed for years. I guess it's a personal thing but having my art being associated with a subject I have loved and followed for years is just one of those highlights in life. I feel great! I'm really proud a piece of my work was chosen by the Wooden Boat Foundation to show up in Port Townsend this Fall. Too Cool!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Ron, this is stunning. It is little wonder that it has been selected for exhibition, I'd be really surprised if they aren't queuing to buy this. Fabulous drawing, detail and composition.

Suetois said...

Congratulations! Your marine art is really outstanding. You know this, right? :-)

Sue

jimserrettstudio said...

Congrats, and very interesting thoughts.
I figure we paint best those things that interest us.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick - Thanks for the very kind comments Mick. The paintings in the Coast Guard collection can be requested by CG installations, Government offices and other venues such as this one but they remain in the CG collection. I had another piece 2 years ago that went to a Maritime Museum in Holland with around 20 other CG pieces. Pretty cool stuff.

Hi Sue - I'm way to tight with my marine work but that doesn't keep me from loving to paint marine scenes, hahaha. I'll work that out down the line. Thanks Sue.

Hi Jim - I think you're absolutely right about that. Inspiration is easy to get but some subjects that you really love are at times bubbling over with it. Thanks buddy.

Gina Brown said...

Beautiful, Ron, just beautiful.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Gina,
Thanks a lot for the nice comments.

Marian Fortunati said...

Congratulations, Ron!!! It's a beautiful painting and a great well deserved honor!!

By the way... do you have TWO blogs??? I stumbled on another... thought it was this one, but then realized... no it's another...

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Marian,
Thanks for the comments on the painting. Yep the other blog is for a small paintings project.

Ryan Evans said...

Ron

Congrats on getting the recognition these paintings deserve. You definitely get the sense of your fascination of the subject when it comes to your maritime work. Truly great stuff.

The sense of action in this one superb!

Ryan

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Ryan,

I'm really jazzed about the request from the Wooden Boat Foundation since it came in before the painting was even shown at the show reception. That's pretty cool. My Maritime paintings get pretty tight so they don't do well at a lot of "plein air" driven shows. That's too bad. I'm very happy though that this has happened. Thanks a lot Ryan.