Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lupine and Oak


"Lupine and Oak"
5"X 7" Oil on Panel
This is such a small painting, 5x7 inches...I started it 3 days ago! Hahaha. There has been so much stuff going on and I felt guilty each time I walked past this painting sitting on my easel waiting to be finished. Sometimes you have to do things that need to be taken care of and art just has to take a back seat. I used to hate when times like this happened but I discovered there is a silver lining there. An artist needs to get away from time to time from their art. The time spent away from the easel is as important to an artist as the time spent sitting at the easel. You have to recharge the batteries and the time lost also keeps the desire to paint where you need it. When I started this painting I was sort of burned out again....not enough to not want to complete this painting but enough to feel it building inside of me.
Another good thing about the time spent away from this painting is that I did get a lot of things done that needed to get done. I took a huge load of old rotting wood to the dump, fixed up a gas bbq my dad gave me, ordered frames, ordered more frames and badly needed larger brushes, made reservations for a hotel in Coos Bay OR. to drop off a painting and see the museum for the first time up there, smogged the truck, went to a meeting to jury artists for an upcoming guild show and cleaned up the garage so I can make some gallery wrapped canvas that I had promised a friend I'd do....a very long time ago. So things got done. and now I'm itching to start a large painting....good deal!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

For lots of us the time away from painting far outweighs the time with brush in hand.

The painting is great exhibiting a full range of values and an interesting selection of colour.

Helen Read said...

Yes, you said it well! Life makes its demands ... and I really like the finished painting you have posted.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick,
I know that feeling too. I'm trying to throw in some more darks in these little paintings...more of that full range of values. Thanks Mick.

Hi Helen,
Thanks for the comments on the painting and about life. It's good that it gets in the way. I used to not think like that but I do now. Thanks Helen.

Janelle Goodwin said...

Interesting post, Ron! It's so true that when we can't paint because of others things that need to get done, we give ourselves a mental vacation from painting. I've found that I then go back to painting with renewed enthusiasm. This is a beautiful painting, as always!

Marian Fortunati said...

Very very true, Ron!!

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Janelle,
Thanks for the comment. Those breaks just really need to happen. I'm now working on a large one and it's going great.

Hi Marian,
Thanks too for the comment. Hope all is well with you and you're over your being sick.

Steve PP said...

Great painting Ron! The darks really do lift that tree off the canvas.

www.stevepp.co.uk

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Steve,
Thanks a lot for the comments. I love the darks in this one. Darks go so well with oak trees anyway so it was fun pushing that part of the painting. Thanks!

Connie said...

Loved the post...I feel better all ready with less guilt! I love that beautiful steak of light blue on the grass.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Connie,
Less guilt is always a better way to feel! haha. Thanks for the comments on the painting Connie.