Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Catalina Paintings

Paintings framed up for the Catalina show in October at Galerie Gabrie in Pasadena
What a chore this project was...from beginning to end. Travelling to Catalina island and painting there was not that big of a deal but framing these pieces was. I've been using a frame supplier from San Diego and have ordered these frames before with no problem. Naturally, 3 of the 4 frames for this show arrived with bad cuts...meaning the frames were slightly larger than my canvas sizes. What that caused me to do was take them apart and restretch with slightly larger bars...and no the stretcher bar keys didn't work or I would have done that and I tried that first anyway. Also...the smallest frame her, the 9" X 12" was so badly put together that any evenly cut 9"x12" panel wouldn't fit...the frame wasn't square. I had to tweak that to get it to work down in the garage. I thank my lucky stars I like to mess with wood because this all is doable and not that hard but I should'nt have to in the first place. Return them??? Not enough time....yep, that was my first thought that lasted all of 5 seconds figuring out the time frame. After restretching it was time to varnish....no problem there. It's all corrected now and they are soon to be hung in the gallery down in Pasadena.
This show will run through the month of October so if you are in Pasadena stop by Galerie Gabrie to see it. Say hi to Jasminka for me and enjoy lots of great art there.
Galerie Gabrie, 597 East Green Street, Pasadena, CA Open Tue-Sat 11-5pm 626.577.1223

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron, these look fantastic! Sorry to hear you had such a battle with the frames, though. Wish I was on that side of the Pond to see the show...I'll have to visit through your blog posts.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Maggie,
That's ok...id would be a very long drive...and swim. Glad you took the time to check them out here. Hopa all is going well with your work over there...you have such a nice style to your art Maggie.

Marian Fortunati said...

What a mess!!
I so admire your many talents, Ron.. I can't imagine what most of us would have done..
I sure hope your framer hears about this and does something to make it a bit right.

I know about all of the Catalina paintings in all of the galleries ... It sounds like a wonderful time there and I'll try to make it.

Good luck .. I wish you all red dots!

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Marian,
Welcome back from your big painting trip in the Channel Islands. How cool!

Thanks for the comments on the frame hassles Marian. I'm just glad it all worked out but sure does become a pain in the butt going through it.
Thanks again!
Ron