Monday, February 07, 2011

Mojave Desert Light


"Mojave In Gold"
24" X 30" Oil on Canvas
This was painted from reference photos taken near the town of Little Rock, CA up in the Mojave Desert. The plan was to go plein air paint that day but I kept stopping on the way there so by the time I got there it was late afternoon and super cold. Instead of painting I just took reference photos until the sun went down. Not a waste of time since reference photos would give me what I needed to do paintings here in the studio. This area is just above Pearblossom highway and sundown was bringing in some awesome light. I love the desert in the evening and enjoy what the light can do to the colors up there. I think I could spend the rest of my life trying to capture the colors of the Mojave...even the dirt looks good when the sun is just right.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

'Spend the rest of your life" doing these, sounds like a plan. A great idea. The delicacy of the blossoms and the detailed stems are transfixing. How long did it take you to produce them? As always your control of the aerial perspective lends a significant feeling of depth and the bush, down right, at the front is important in that illusion. High class stuff.

Marian Fortunati said...

Beautiful job, Ron... I love the colors in the bushes...
I totally agree with what Mick said!!!

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick...
Thanks a lot for the kind words. I probably spent a day and a half working slowly painting that large foreground bush. First time to paint something like that so it was learning on the fly.

Hi Marian...
Thanks a lot too. The evening light up in the high desert is awesome and does such wonderful things to the landscape. It was such a great change of subject matter too from what's around here.