Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Morro Rock Surf

I remembered to take some work in progress shots with this painting. This is titled Morro Rock Surf but shows nothing of Morro Rock which majestically juts out of the waters edge in Morro Bay. The title just sounds better than Morro Rock Jetty Surf...and I wasn't that far out on the jetty. Morro Bay gets some huge surf so no messing around out there for me.
Here's the start. Not much of a sketch but that's not needed much in painting...it's all done on the fly and with color.
Painting in the base colors of the rocks and water. I try to do 2 things here...get it as close to what I'm looking for and to fill up the canvas fast so it seems like you are making progress, haha. You are painting over these base colors so the sooner they are in the sooner I can begin the "real" painting.  
Adding detail to the rocks while the water sets up a bit. I don't like working wet on wet so I will move around to let areas get as tacky as they can.
 Adding the water detail and shaded foam of the wave. This is the beginning of dialing it all in which really is more of the work. As this stage progresses things get altered and changed around quite a bit to get the finish I want. In looking at the final image you can see how many changes were made from this stage. 
 
The final painting. In the upper stage you can see how the rocks vary in color. In my final version I went back over some of them to tie them in more with a tan/reddish tint leaving only foreground rocks grey. The last two marine paintings were primarily blue colors so for this one I wanted something different...reddish grey water, tan rocks with a reddish tint and an overall lighter value to the painting. 
"Morro Bay Surf"
12" X 16" Oil on Panel
 
 

2 comments:

Dennis said...

Great job on this... I wonder what brush you are using to create the breaking sea on the rocks... and technique.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Dennis,
That's mostly done with an old worn out brush. Sometimes I use the corners of a worn out fan brush too. Worn out brushes have that random effect which is perfect for stuff like this.