Sunday, August 10, 2008

Central Coast Poppies

Going wide again and using one of my earlier paintings as the study to work from. I actually entered the study into a show but won't know for a while if it gets juried in so I want this one to show locally. I was hoping to do maybe an 18"x24" on this one but didn't have a canvas laying around. I had 2 12"x24"'s leaning against the wall so that explains the wide format. Besides, wide is always cool.
I like doing the trees in this type of lighting and I always have a fun time experimenting with the various shades of green and darkness at the base of the trees. Having fun while you paint sure makes it worth doing and gets rid of the stress. The background mountains look more like the San Gabriel mountains down near Pasadena than the Santa Ynez mountains up here. Guess my roots are finding their way into my painting. This scene could very easily be looking across the San Gabriel Valley from the hills in San Dimas or the Covina area....but way before we jacked it up with a zillion houses and businesses.

"Central Coast Poppies"

12" X 24"

Oil on Canvas Covered Panel


Some detail shots of the painting....

No comments: