Sunday, November 15, 2009

Tres Hermanas Vines

" Tres Hermanas Vines"
9" X 12" Oil on panel
This is a plein air piece that was done out at the Tres Hermanas Vineyard in Foxen Canyon. I did a show out there a couple of years ago and thought I'd go back up there to try some plein air work...this is the third one I've done up there. It's a good spot because there isn't much traffic, no pedestrians and I can just pull off to the side of the road to set up my gear...no hiking! Bonus!!


I like the vineyards in the morning light because the tops of the vines get this great morning light and pop the heck out of the green against the dark undergrowth. I also like this angle of the vines too and my spot out there is right at the end of the rows.
A detail of the painting........

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Time of day is so important in catching the sort of light that gives punch to a painting. I'm enjoying this latest series of paintings. They are giving me a sense of social responsibility in that I feel the need to ensure that those who tend these wonderful plants are kept in gainful employment. Where's the corkscrew?
Lovely simple composition and the detail shots show some lovely little touches of colour that are not immediately visible.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick,
I could have pushed this one more. It would have given a much earlier time of day. I'm still playing with that sort of thing. I think you have to be careful to keep from going too far in a painting though...where drama begins to be the focal point of all of your paintings. I'm not that interested in pushing drama though.

I like how this one came out but it isn't stong on the background to me. I got caught painting what was actually there and not editing enough. It's ok but like all paintings it could be better.
Ron