Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Santa Ynez Rolling Hills


"At The Foothills"
24" X 36" Oil on Canvas
Finished this one up right before my trip to Oregon. There are so many things going on right now it took me a while to get somewhat caught up enough to post anything here. Sales are still super slow but you still need to keep moving and trying things. I like this scene and have painted similar scenes from the evening I spent here taking reference photos. These colors are so typical of this area...in fact, a lot of the California landscape looks like this. The warm ochre tones and rich dark greens of the oaks are hard to ignore for an artist. Most of this land is used for grazing cattle by the Chamberlin Ranch here in Santa Ynez.

6 comments:

Erik van Elven said...

Very nice Ron, you've achieved a great sense of depth in this image.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Erik,
Thanks for the good words. I'm pretty happy with this painting. The colors and time of day are something I'll continue to use in my paintngs. Thanks again Erik.

Marian Fortunati said...

This is so very "California" Ron... You've really captured the feeling of our state.
Hope you had a great trip.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Marian,
It was a very good trip. 2 days to get up there, 2 days at Coos Bay and 2 days to come back. I took a zillion pics. We met one of the members of the Board of the museum and had a fun talk. Turns out he was in the first graduating class at Blair High in Pasadena where I graduated from in 1976. What are the odds of that!?
Thanks for the comments too...this one came out really nice I think.

Unknown said...

It might just be me but do I detect a slight shift in your palette. There seems to be a new glow to your ochres. Whether this is the case or not this is a very fine piece and I enjoy the scope of this work. Wish I could afford it but my builder is consuming my spare funds.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick...interesting comment on the ochres. Might be the new paints, the Utrecht paints I've been using lately. Maybe I'm just getting better at mixing other colors into them like Cad Yellow Pale, Alizarin Crimson etc. I'm not sure because I'm doing both of these things.
Anyways...glad you like the look because I do too. Hey, right after I posted on your home woes we had a pvc coupler crack right next to out water tank at 10:30 at night. Went to bed at 1:30 and did some more work to it the next morning....man, it never stops!
Thanks Mick.