Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Artist Canopy Sign

I am waiting on some small paintings to dry up a bit from varnishing at the last minute so I thought I'd post some of the progress of readying for the show this weekend.
My old sign for the canopy was falling apart. I need to break down and buy one of those fancy ones that are hung across the top of your canopy for shows. I have always got a reason to not do it and everytime a show comes up the sign issue comes up...procrastination at it's best. I was recently at an artists studio as she was having a sale on a lot of her equipment due to her moving back to Canada. She gave me some stretcher bars so I decided to just make a sign since time was short. I wanted a tall sign to fit one of the grids we use to put out front and somehow get my name out there. I used part of the composition from the small painting I had done in the below post titled "Evening Approach". I just added a bit more green to the tree and left an area up top for my name. When the painting and the top area were dry enough I used a projector to place the lettering that was printed on a small sheet of paper. I traced the letters and then put the canvas back on the easel and painted in the letters....I'm no sign painter like my uncle who would do something like this freehanded and it would look perfect. He's a sign painter...I paint letters.

Anyway...while that all was drying I made a frame for it out of a scrap 2x4 I had in the garage. I would like to have used oak but that meant a 30 mile trip to Home Depot so instead I opted for the fir 2x4. Here is what the sign will look like hung in place. We adjusted the floor plann of the booth for the show...see, this is why you put the booth up ahead of time to tweak it to what you want for a particular show....looks cool!!

8 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

This is really well done.

Best of luck on the show, Ron!!! The sign is great!... the booth well done and of course your paintings will have them knocking one another down to get them!

Unknown said...

Great sign. Hope you sell, sell, sell.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Marian, If I could get them knocking themselves down to buy my art I'd put up 2 canopies! hahaha. It will be fun little show to do.

Hi Mick, Thanks buddy. Selling is the name of the game but our economy here has the advantage....so I look forward to having fun with the other artists. The camaraderie is always something to look forwward to.

connie said...

Beautiful sign! Hope the show will be a "good 'un" for you.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Connie,
Thanks for the comments. I probably put too much into that sign, hahaha. I wanted something tall but should have stayed a little skinnier. Reminds me of a poster, haha. I'm hoping the heat isn't too bad on Saturday. Winds should be light so it just might work out. Thanks!

Helen Read said...

Very nice! I love the look you've created!

John Healey said...

You did a great job on the sign Ron. I'm enjoying reading your blog.

Ron Guthrie said...

Helen...thanks a lot for the good words. I made that sign in a hurry but it came out pretty nice. Looked good at the show.

Hi John...Thanks too. Glad you like reading the blog. I'm trying my best to keep it from being boring, hahaha. I need to varnish the sign soon or I'll mess with the painting. You know how that goes...they're never fnished.