Saturday, August 14, 2010

Distant Hills


"Evening Approach"
5" x 7" Oil on panel
SOLD
Did this painting to work on the colors and atmosphere you see of distant mountains in evening light. I like playing with those distant highlights on the mountainsides as they collect the last rays of sun. I used an old tube of Shiva Cadmium Orange to do the trees. This tube is one I've had since college in the early 80's. That old tube was more than half full and beautiful color still! I miss Shiva paints. Had to pick that up at the Standard Brands art section right there on Fair Oaks in Pasadena long before it closed it's doors. I think this painting has some great color in it and a nice sense of mood...I'm happy with it.

4 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

I love the evening light as it touches the hills on the way to night.

You've done a great job, Ron... your colors are always so subtle.

Ron Guthrie said...

Thanks Marian. Messing with the colors of a scene is always fun with painting. Growing up in Pasadena gave me years of seeing the afternoon light effect the color on the San Gabriel mountains. I guess that is why I like this type of scene.

Hey...you're doing some really nice work lately Marian.

Unknown said...

Colour really is the theme with this one. Great glow going on.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick,
Thanks for the nice comments. I like this one. I think the colors really work well here. Thanks.