Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Near Grass Mountain


"Near Grass Mountain"

12" X 16" Oil on canvas

Grass mountain is on the north side of our valley. I've driven to the base of it a few times and while driving around up there the last time I snapped pics for references. This scene was painted to work more on small grasses and plants. For that purpose it is succesful I think. If you approach each painting with a goal in mind I think it keeps you from freaking out about having to paint the perfect Mona Lisa each time. Maybe that's why I can get involved in each painting so quickly instead of fussing over what to paint next.

The fun part of this painting was doing the foreground grasses. You can get pretty creative doing those with your palette knife. I'm really loving doing grasses.

No comments: