Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Trail Gets Better

One of my artist friends made a suggestion that something was missing from the foreground in the recent painting "A Winding Trail". Not one to think I know everything I listened and took another good long look at the painting.....Rocks! Rocks are something I've been anting to try and this painting was painted by me to try doing this type of scene better....why not add some rocks.


I had a student grade panel nearby with a scene very similar to this one that I had worked some other ideas out on so I practiced on it....that's why I bought those student grade panels to begin with. If I want to try a certain looking tree but not sure if I can pull it off I go to the cheapo panels and experiment there....then the panel sits there waiting for some other idea to pop in my head and the need for a spare canvas to try it out on instead of the actual painting....sure saves throwing a good painting away and if I can't get it right on the cheapo panel then my neighbors don't hear me screaming in anguish and frustration.
I think the rocks worked out nicely and fill in an otherwise boring foreground. I feel better about taking the time to practice painting rocks too. They might not be the best looking rocks but I'll get better.

2 comments:

Denise said...

This is beautiful. I discovered this blog by chance and am totally inspired.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Denise,
Thanks a lot for your comments and for finding the blog! I really appreciate it.
Ron