Thursday, September 10, 2009

Alla Prima Study

"Hilltop Study"
6" X 8" Oil on panel

This morning I wanted to get some painting in before having to run some errands and other things that needed to get done. I haven't had the chance to set up my French easel outside and do some plein air and wanted to at least try it out...so I set it up in the studio and plunked a small 6X8 panel on it and off I went. I tried this little scene from a photograph I had. Problem 1....not very good light in the studio unless I'm painting on my big easel that has extra lighting on it. Problem 2....where am I going to set my brushes? I usually have 4 or 5 brushes going at a time when painting and there is plenty of room to balance them all on the big studio easel but not on a French easel. I need to make a small brush holder that I can clip on easily.
The only other problem I had was the panel I was painting on had some lousy canvas mounted to it. I made that little panel so maybe it was a piece of scrap canvas I used because the other panels I made work just fine. The finish shows a lot of the canvas texture but at this small size it is obnoxious in the final photo. It works ok IRL but in the photo it sort of sucked.

The study took about an hour to do minus all the searching for a spot to set my brushes on. Now to make that brush holder......

No comments: