Monday, October 11, 2010

"it's not done till it's done"


"Farming Corn Off 99"
12" X 16" Oil on Canvas
(When I first thought it was done)


"Farming Corn Off 99"
12" X 16" Oil on Canvas
(....now finished)
As you can see a little time out of sight and then a second look and boy did I need to make some changes here. I liked the finish the first time but right away I wasn't crazy about the foreground grasses. I wanted a simpler look to the grasses there and figured a few times looking at it would convincve me I would like it. Nope.
I let it sit while working on other paintings and finally came back to it today for a second look and gave in to make my changes. I added more detail to the grasses until I was happy. While the paint was out, (as if it ever gets put away...), I decided to add some lines to the barn roof to suggest broad flat panels up there and go back and add some better highlights to the trees.
Adding the highlights to the trees really increased the atmosphere in this painting...that was one of those very very welcome surprises. I really love this painting now.

4 comments:

Christopher Volpe said...

Interesting! I think the biggest difference is that the vertical lines of the grasses create a counterpoint to the strongly horizontal composition. Nice touch, and it did indeed bring the painting to life!

Unknown said...

The additions make a huge difference, they infuse the whole painting with life and depth. You have lifted the good first effort into a high class painting.

Christine Brallier said...

Oh absolutely better! (First try was beautiful, too!) The light in the trees really makes them come alive and the grasses, wow, before, I admired the colors of the grass, but didn't spend a lot of time there and kind of skipped past the foreground into the background. Now I stay longer in the grasses before going back. It's more balanced. It's beautiful, Ron, nice going!

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Christopher...Thanks for the comments on the painting changes. You have some really great work on your website!! I still love that boat painting in the ad for the upcoming gallery show you're having...excellent work Christopher!

Hi Mick....I'm glad you feel that way Mick because I really like the changes. I wasn't satisfied with it before and felt it needed a more completed look. I'm happy! Thanks buddy!

Hi Christine....I agree...the grasses needed more work and I felt looked incomplete as they were. The changes there are much better and the highlights in the trees really gave it a fuller look. Thanks Christine.