Sunday, October 17, 2010

Lupine Afternoon


"Lupine Afternoon"
18" X 36" Oil on Canvas
I was going for more dramatic evening light here. I highlighted the treetops down to mid-tree height and kept the lower parts toned down...that last afternoon light hitting only the tree tops. I added the lupine lining the meadow floor for some added color but kept their intensity down a notch of two since they wouldn't be catching much of that late light.
I have a framed painting at this size leftover from last years studio tour so I plan on putting this in that frame to change it up. It's a wood grain frame that always gets lots of compliments from those who see them. Should look pretty nice once it is in the frame.

6 comments:

DAVS said...

It is really beautiful!:)

Ron Guthrie said...

Thanks a bunch Davs...I appreciate you checking the painting out!

Suetois said...

It doesn't need the frame to look "pretty nice." This is one of my favorites (so far).

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Sue,
Thanks a lot for your comments Sue. It looks pretty nice now even without the frame....it will just look complete with the frame, haha. Can't wait to see it once it is all varnished up. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I love the range of values, the aerial perspective and the colour on the ground, it is a fine example of your first rate technique. The only thing that I can think to comment about is the lack of something in the foreground on the left of the picture that just might stop the eye from wandering off the edge of the canvas. Having said that it is still very satisfying as it is.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick,
That's a decent suggestion you've made. I'll keep my eye on it down the line to see if I should go in and make the change. A simple fix. Good eye!