Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Framed in Black

Loosk pretty nifty!

Well, here is the boat painting in the black frame which really has very dark reddish undertones. I like it but then again I had the idea it would look cool in a dark frame. My general consensus is that landscapes with lots of greens go well in your typical gold frames and marine work...usually lots of blues and greys tends to go better with darker frames...ie black.

Of course I could be totally wrong with that thinking but it seems to work....to me, hahaha. How decisive. I'd be the first to admit framing is better handled by the people buying the work. They know what they want it to look like on their walls so why not let them just buy the canvas and head straight to the frame shop. Sure would make it a lot easier for artists to concentrate on just painting....but that would be in a perfect world. It's nice to present work in a decent frame and I've learned that lesson like a struggling artist usually does. You buy the most affordable, and usually, the cheapest looking frames that "most affordable" gets you. Then one day you look at the work of artists in galleries and then go home to look at your framed paintings and want to kill yourself...."what was I thinking!" is probably a sentance most artists have uttered at one time or another.


If you are serious about selling your work to people who want to buy it make sure you buy good frames...not affordable frames. Look around at professional artists whose work you feel is in the realm of your caliber, or vice versa, and pay attention to the frames. Do your frames look like that? If not then start saving your money for better frames. The presentation makes a world of difference and shows to the buyer you feel your work deserves better frames because it's better work. Hate to sound uppity but if you don't value what you create then why should a buyer value it anymore than you do.

Anyway, I think the boat painting looks really good in this frame...looked good in the other gold frame but I think black tends to go better with this painting. They have this really nice looking black frame that was reproduced from an English designed frame used mainly for landscapes at King Of Frame that I think would make this look even better....something to think about trying out as soon as I hit the California Lotto....by the way, King Of Frame has some killer frames and their prices are pretty darned good too....check them out if you haven't already.

7 comments:

Suetois said...

I like this dark frame much better than the gold one. It echoes the dark areas of the door, window, and especially the painted line at the base of the boat, and grounds the image nicely. I also think the fact that the dark frame is less ornate suits the more austere feel of the Shark's Parlour. Meanwhile, the landscape looks just wonderful in the gold frame. I think you've nailed this one.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Sue,
I agree...the dark frame tends to pull out and accent the darker areas in the painting which is great since most of this painting are lighter notes of color.
Funny you mention the less ornate look to this frame over the gold one. The scroll type patterns of the gold Larsen Juhl frame are not typical of a plein air type frame and it's not a plein air frame to begin with. I wondered about it overpowering a landscape but it seems to always work when I use that frame for landscape paintings. We get a lot of compliments off of that frame and it has a good solid feel and look to it. Thanks Sue!

Christine Brallier said...

Yay! Looks great, Ron! Nice choice. And I completely agree about valuing your artwork with the nicer frames. The buyer needs to know you value your artwork. See you this weekend! :)

ZanBarrage said...

I shifted from gold to dark frames a few months ago and I haven't looked back. The dark frames keep the eye in the painting much better especially if the frame is wide and simple. Nice work!

Unknown said...

Looks fabulous.

Marian Fortunati said...

I do agree, that this frame looks lovely, Ron... It sets off your work wonderfully...

Do you find, then that your work sells better in more expensive frames???

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Christine - Thanks for the good words...all set for the big studio tour tomorrow & Sunday. What a lot of work to get ready for this...and now the rain moves in, hahaha what luck! See ya tomorrow.

Hi Fawzen - You know, I've always felt that dark frames really focus the eye to the work. I'm with you. Of course some would argue that people don't want dark frames in their homes...too museum like I guess....but it sure makes the work look great. Thanks!

Hi Mick - Thanks buddy...wish you were here to see it in person and have a couple pints to go with it.

Hi Marian - I had so-so frames when I first got into the gallery in San Luis Obispo. Sales were sporadic. I started buying better looking frames and sales went up...a lot. I was painting better and prices went up so there was a need for better looking frames to match the work.

I think the best purchase of anything is when you feel you got more than what you paid for. If you bought a painting in a cheap looking frame you are already saying to yourself I have to get a better frame for it which means you aren't getting something that feels like it's worth much more than you are paying.

It costs more to get good frames but then again we are already paying for artist quality paints, quality canvas or linen and quality brushes so it doesn't make sense to put the finished work into a $30 frame.
Thanks Marian.