Monday, November 15, 2010

Framing

I've got this one Larsen Juhls frame that I really like that is a 16"X20" frame. I've bounced it around at various shows with different paintings and managed to hang on to it...well, I had 3 oof these frames in this size plus some more but all of those were sold over the years but not this one. I have 3 16"X20" paintings in various stages of drying and wanted to try them out in this frame....2 landscapes and this recent marine painting. I am only showing one of the landscapes here because they both seem to work with this frame so I'm showing the comparison with one of those and the marine painting.
I like the boat in this frame after all. I thought the boat would look better in a darker frame...a dark reddish undertone color (which really looks black until you get really close) or maybe just a black frame...distressed looking black, not flat or glossy black. After trying it out in this frame I think it is now a toss up. This is a 3" wide frame and is readily available from my local framers so ordering another frame wouldn't be a problem. They just order the style from their Larsen Juhl supplier and cut it down to my canvas size. I'd do it myself but I don't have the equipment to cut frame stock (mitresaw) or the other tool to join the corners. I'd look into ordering a black frame online but geeze once I start looking at frames it becomes and obsession.

10 comments:

Steve PP said...

The landscape looks stunning in that frame,Ron!

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Steve,
Linda here say's she prefers the landscape in that frame too..so that's two votes in that direction. Thanks for the comments Steve, I appreciate it.

Unknown said...

They both look stunning in that frame. Availability of good frames is something that frustrates me over here.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick,
Over here it just seems to be the ongoing hunt for affordable frames which drives me crazy. Add to that quality, timely delivery and dependability on the vendors part and the stakes go up, hahaha. Thanks Mick.

Marian Fortunati said...

For what it's worth, I like the landscape best in the frame as well. But hey it's you and the buyer that need to decide, right!!!

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Marian,
Well, I can just order another frame too. I am going to try the boat out in a black (very dark reddish umber) frame that I have another painting in just to see how it looks in there. Flip Flopping around.

Spent today varnishing and the room still smells like fresh damar, hahaha. I think I varnished up about 10 paintings today. One or two more to go tomorrow.

Christine Brallier said...

I LOVE the landscape in that frame, but would love to see how the boat looks in the darker frame you're talking about. It feels kinda lost in the lighter frame to me. But I don't usually frame my artwork because I suck at it so don't listen to me, haha.

Christine Brallier said...

Shoot, the more I look at it, I wonder if the darker frame would make it look more lost because of all of the light tones. Like I said, don't listen to me!! :)

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Christine,
I always listen to you and you make some good points. I'm looking at the boat in the black frame here and it looks pretty darned good...of course, the painting colors are much better here and the lighter tones are "right there"...doesn't look like it as much in the photo above. Something always gets lost in the photos online. If you come by the studio tour you'll see how both of these worked out. Down the line I may buy a different black frame for this one that I'm thinking about. Thanks Christine.

Christine Brallier said...

Thanks, Ron. Looking forward to seeing these up close!