Monday, January 14, 2013

Painting at the Wilcox Property


"Trail At The Wilcox"
9" X 12" Oil on panel
Today was the paint out with PACC at the Wilcox Preserve in Santa Barbara. This area was set aside as open space and a haven from developers. Land is at a premium down in Santa Barbara and this coastal bluff is prime real estate down there....has to drive the developers insane that they can't get their hands on it.
This was my first time there, and aside from the thousands of dogs brought for a walk in nature by yuppies and eldery doing a good job of staying in shape, the place is a cool painting area.

While there I had a chance to talk to a fellow artist who joined our group to paint for the day. Her name was Kathy Francis from Port Townsend, WA. and she was down here avoiding the fun of Winter up in Washington. Kathy shows her work in a gallery in Port Townsend and a member of a painting group just like ours. Was really fun to see her work for the day and talk about life down here and up north, people we've met and places we've been. Hopefully when she is down this way again she'll hook up with our group to do some painting. When I showed Kathy my painting for the morning she suggested I drag the lowest shadow across the trail and up into the grasses on the right...so I did when I got back to the studio...good suggestion!
   Kathy Francis working it up out in the field

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a great new venue and it seems to have inspired a shift in the overall warmth of the picture. Isn't it good to share ideas and experiences with other painters?

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick,
None of the usual dry grasses since it looks like Ireland over here with all of the rains we've had. Ton so greens to play with. Yeah, I liked her suggestion and told her that I'd probably extend that shadow once I got back to the studio. Fun day!