Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year...and Good Riddance 2013

This will be my last blog post for the year 2013. I've decided without a doubt 2013 has been yet another sucky year to add to the last few years. Lets see....rock & roll had some great years, the 50's, 60's, 70's even the 80's were all good for music. The 90's were the declining years of rock & roll and 2000-2010, well, there just was no rock & roll. Rap, white kids trying to rap, female singers spewing out vocal gymmnastics or using the voice of a 12 year old....all of that since 2000 continuing up to date. I try and keep myself in check and not let myself become "an old person who doesn't understand the music of our youth today" but honestly, turn your radio on and decide for yourself. Classic Rock has become the last bastion of rock & roll as we knew it but how many times can you listen to the Eagles singing Hotel California or Walk This Way by Aerosmith. The only saving grace to music is that a computer allows you to hunt down all of the B-sides you like...thank you "for not getting it" Xerox.  
In the last installment of Indiana Jones there is a line that goes something like this "Indy, it appears that we have reached a time where Life stops giving and starts taking". I've lost my Dad and youngest sister. Friends I know have lost people too. An old school friend of mine since the 7th grade is now going through treatments for cancer...that used to be something old people got. The worst part of growing older has nothing to do with yourself, it has everything to do with those around you that you love. A good goal for 2014 would be to learn to keep my head up in spite of the things to come. 

Art....I am painting better than I ever have. Better than I can imagine I have the ability to. Go figure. Art is such a bumpy ride. There are times where you make definate progress and other times you seem to be going sideways instead of up. To those of you who paint just hang in there....the "up" will happen. As for sales....did I mention 2013 totally sucked! I'm right there with a lot of you who this economy has effected. Remember...VOTE! The People of this country still call the shots, not the Government....nor the Media. VOTE! 
 
 Hopes for 2014....I hope all of you, including myself, improve in our art. My goal has always been to one day paint something spectacular...something a Master would have painted. You should have this goal too if you paint. Never be satisfied with your work or you'll never even get close to painting something spectacular. I hope our country finds it's way and that's up to you and me. It's important. I know this is an art blog but America, and the state of it, should be in everyones mind. I hope our kids stop killing each other in our schools, I hope the people running around knocking people out for no reason other than to see themselves on video doing it enjoy a long, slow and painful death, I hope every single terrorist does the same.
Lastly, I will try more to do good in 2014. Doing something good for anyone is what life is about. It makes you a better person and makes life a little easier for the other person...so why not. To start the year off on the right foot I will do something good...now. To the first of my Subscribers or Followers who emails me with the promise that they will do something good for someone else I will send you the painting below titled "Above Santa Ynez"...for free. The painting is an oil painting that measures 8"x10" on stretched canvas. All you need to do is buy an 8"x10" frame, put a nail in your wall and you're good to go. You have to be a subscriber or follower of my blog and the first to email me....my thanks for your interest in my art and for you promising to do something nice for someone in 2014.
****To email me go to "About Me", click on Ron Guthrie then click on Email****
Now I've strarted my new year off on the right foot.
UPDATE....The painting has already been snagged up by Monica, the first to email me. So the painting will be on it's way to Atlanta soon...Congratulations Monica!
! Happy New Year !
    

7 comments:

Monica Burnette said...

I'm so excited, Ron! Thank you so much. This is a gorgeous painting and I can't wait to see it in person. It's an auspicious start to 2014.

Ron Guthrie said...

Congratulations on being the first one to email Monica. So far the start of the New Year is off to a great one. Happy New Year Monica!!

Teresa said...

Happy New Year Ron! Awesome post, I can relate on every level. Here's hoping 2014 brings a little more joy, and a little less sadness.

Anonymous said...

Ron, Happy New Year....your heartfelt words resonate so much with me also....and thanks for reminding me to keep painting! BTW....so very lucky that I can vote now I am an American Citizen!

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Teresa!!
We should all have a better year than 2013....I'm wishing you and the ones you love a great and wonderful New Year!!! You're doing fine work Teresa, lets do more!

Hi Maggie!!
I am so proud that you are now a citizen of the US, that's very cool indeed Maggie! I hope you soon have another "overly organized" studio here in this country and when it's all in order you can help me with mine :) Happy New Year Maggie!!

Matt H. said...

Such a heartfelt post and so much truth that people need to hear. I hope that 2014 goes better for you and for many people, since heaven knows so many folks need help in these dark times.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Matthew,
Great to hear from you. It's been great seeing your posts on WC Matthew. I'm hoping for the best this year, something better has to happen for a lot of us. Looking foward to seeing more of your work buddy. Happy New Year Matthew!