Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My Favorite Painting...(so far)

"First Poppies"
5" x 7" Oil on Canvas
You start each painting all charged up and thinking this will be your best because it is your latest work....not so with me. Each one has it's own challenges and mistakes are made too. Even on smaller canvases most paintings are an effort. First Poppies was the one that broke those rules. It started easy and finished easy in around 3 hours spaced over 2 sessions. Another artist mentioned this was a painting in the vein of Granville Redmond's work. Being the paint historian I am, I quickly looked the name up in Google and saw his work on various sites. Granville was best known for his California landscapes featuring California Poppies and Lupines. He was also one of the founding members of the California Art Club. Although I don't have the quality of a Redmond painting I was honored by the mere mention of his name in a post of my work....totally thrilled !

No comments: